Monday, October 13, 2008

Rescuing a Cooking Mishap and Frittata Recipes

This weekend went by in a blur. My agent called Friday with interest from a publisher in one of my cookbook ideas, and wanting to strike while the iron was hot, I spent the last couple of days writing a detailed proposal. I don't want to jinx anything, so I'll tell you more details if it happens, but hopefully a cookbook from yours truly is in the not too distant future.

So when it came time for dinner Saturday night, I decided to turn some leftover grilled lamb into a Masala style curry. The best restaurant here in Big Bear, an Indian and Nepalese place called Himalayan, makes an outstanding lamb Masala curry, and this was my inspiration.

Well, in trying to simplify the recipe for a mass audience , I blew it. While it was edible, it was missing something and just wasn't great (even food writers don't make outstanding dishes all the time). Since we weren't looking forward to the leftovers from this dubious dish, I needed to figure out something else to do with them (as I jsut can't thrown away food, it's just ingrained in me).

Enter the Frittata -- leftovers best friend. I drained off most of the sauce (which came out far too rich), sliced up the potatoes and green beans (the lamb chunks were already small) and added them to skillet, poured over beaten eggs, and finished it all off in the oven. It turned out to be a delicious, lightly curry flavored lunch entree.

If you haven't made a frittata before, check it out. It's like a sturdier, more substantial omelette. Frittatas are even good cold, making them perfect for picnics or lunch boxes. Frittatas make a great way of using up extra meats, veggies and cheese you may have in your fridge. The technique couldn't be simpler -- there isn't even any flipping involved!

For frittata newbies, I've included some recipes below. Get used to making frittatas and you'll be improvising in no time, turning your leftovers into quick and delicious meals for breakfast, lunch, or a light dinner.

Frittata Recipes from FabulousFoods.com

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I hve yet to make a frittata, guess I will have to try one now! LOL

Cheri Sicard said...

They're quick, easy, and practical, especially on those days when you don't know what else to make.

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment